Las Cruces, New Mexico 88007
Voice: (575) 525-1911
Fax: (575) 525-8852
TDD: (575) 525-5951
|Sheriff Todd Garrison was selected in 2005 by the County Commission to serve until Dec. 31, 2006.|
|He was elected to the post by the voters in both the 2006 and 2010 General Elections, and is now serving a four-year term that will expire Dec. 31, 2014. He presides over a department whose accomplishments include:|
- two grants adding 20 deputies to the field at minimal cost
- forty new vehicles, ten of which were purchased through a seized-asset fund at no cost to the taxpayers
- six new all-terrain vehicles for community policing efforts in desert areas
- after-school programs in Chaparral and Anthony by which at-risk youth are introduced to productive, structured activities designed to keep them away from gangs
- grant funding of more than $804,000 aimed at everything from DWI prevention to child-safety seat enforcement
- a school resource officer in the Gadsden Independent School District
- a complete reclassification of job titles and salaries that will stem turnover and allow us to retain our best deputies and administrators
- an aggressive drug interdiction program with four additional K-9 units, bringing our total to five.
- a new standardized promotion process utilizing an Assessment Board on which law enforcement officers and private citizens sit to determine the rankings for future promotions.
- successful closure on four of the county's five homicide cases, and an increase in closure resulting in arrests of cases related to other major crimes.
HEARSE THAT CARRIED FAMOUS DONA ANA COUNTY LAWMAN NOW ON DISPLAY AT SHERIFF’S MUSEUM
After negotiations that spanned two decades, the famous horse-drawn hearse that carried Sheriff Pat Garrett to his final resting place in 1908 is back in Doña Ana County. The antique hearse, owned by the Woman’s Improvement Association until 1912, was recently purchased privately by Las Cruces resident Cal Traylor and then donated to the Doña Ana County Sheriff’s Department for permanent installation in the Historical Museum of Lawmen, located inside the lobby of the department’s main headquarters at 845 N. Motel Boulevard in Las Cruces.