Marriage License Requirements
- Marriage Application Information Form (PDF - 14KB)
FOR ALL APPLICANTS:
The following is required at the time a couple applies for a marriage license:
- Completed Marriage Application Information Form. The form is available on the web or at the County Clerk’s Office.
- Twenty-five dollars ($25.00) in cash, check, credit card or money order, payable at the time of application.
- Proof of age and identity required. Proof of age and identity is normally satisfied with a government-issued photo ID.
Both applicants must appear in person. If an applicant is unable to appear in person, authorization to issue the marriage license must be provided by a District Judge.
Marriage licenses must be purchased at any time before the ceremony. The license is valid for a ceremony taking place anywhere within the State of New Mexico. The signed license must be returned to the County Clerk’s Office within ninety (90) days of the ceremony.
FOR APPLICANTS WHO ARE 16 OR 17 YEARS OLD:
In addition to the above, you must have:
- An original or certified copy of your birth certificate.
- The written consent of each living parent listed on the birth certificate.
Written consent may be provided in person at the Clerk’s Office or through a notarized statement. If a parent is deceased, a certified copy of the death certificate is required. If a parent is not deceased and is unable or unwilling to provide written consent, authorization to issue the marriage license must be provided by a District Judge.
FOR APPLICANTS WHO ARE 18-20 YEARS OLD:
- Government-issued picture ID.
FOR APPLICANTS WHO ARE UNDER 16 YEARS OF AGE:
Marriages of persons under 16 years of age are only permitted when there is a pregnancy and when a Children’s or Family Court Judge has authorized the marriage.
FEE DUE AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
Twenty-Five Dollars ($25.00) in cash, payable at the time of application. NO EXCEPTIONS.
MARRIAGES MAY BE PERFORMED ONLY IN THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
The marriage license is good indefinitely, but must be returned with the certification after the ceremony is performed. Whomever performs the marriage is responsible for returning the license with certification to the County Clerk where it was issued for recording with 90 days.
For additional Information, please call 575-647-7421
OFFICE HOURS: MONDAY through FRIDAY 8:00 A.M. TO 5:00 P.M.
845 N. Motel Blvd., Las Cruces, NM 88007