Doña Ana County



A 6-month-old baby girl suffered second-degree burns to her forehead after an early-morning blaze in Anthony, N.M. The fire has been ruled accidental, and the baby is expected to make a full recovery.

The baby was treated at Memorial General Hospital in Las Cruces. Her parents and three siblings, all of whom were uninjured, are meeting with fire and sheriff’s investigators, as well as authorities from the New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department.

Investigators said the four children -- the 6-month-old, an 18-month-old girl, a 4-year-old girl and a 5-year-old boy -- were inside the trailer and began screaming when the fire began. The father was at work, and the mother was outside. The mother ran inside and got her children out. Neighbors called for help.

Doña Ana County Fire Marshal Paul Chavez said a space heater placed too close to bedding materials is the probable cause of the fire. The trailer was a total loss. No other injuries were reported by civilians or firefighters.

During the course of the investigation, deputies initially were led to believe that the female infant had been transported to MMC by neighbors in a private vehicle, but they now know she and her mother were transported by ambulance and treated en route.

Dispatchers at the Mesilla Valley Regional Dispatch Authority received the first call on the fire at 6:54 a.m. today and dispatched fire units to the scene at 6:55 a.m.

The first unit from Anthony Volunteer Fire Department arrived on the scene at 11 Los Encinos Way at 7:06 a.m. to find a fifth-wheel recreational vehicle fully engulfed in flames. Anthony firefighters were soon joined by volunteers from the Chamberino, Chaparral, La Union and La Mesa districts, as well as firefighters from the West Valley Fire Department in Anthony, Tx.

Also responding were personnel from the Doña Ana County Fire Marshal's Office, El Paso Electric Company, AMR Ambulance and the Doña Ana County Sheriff's Department.

El Paso Electric is inspecting other trailers and structures in the area for possible illegal and hazardous electrical connections.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****

Reporters seeking more information or interviews may call county Public Information Director Jess Williams at (505) 525-5801.