In response to the growing threat of COVID-19, our office is taking measures to protect our staff and taxpayers from the risk of potential exposure while maintaining continuity of services to the public. This plan provides a general guideline on what to expect during this time.
- In-person 8:00am to 5:00pm
- Phone 8:00am to 5:00pm
- In-person payments are currently available
- Online at: www.donaanacounty.org/treasurer/payments
- Phone: 575-647-7433, Toll Free 1-877-827-7200 ext. 7433
- By mail: P.O. Box 1179 Las Cruces, NM 88004
- 24 Hour drop box: in front of the County Government Center
- Bill pay: This is a service provided by your bank
These services are currently available for walk-ins
- Mobile Home Moving Permit Payments: Contact Community Development at 647-7350
- Mobile Home Title Changes: Contact the Assessor’s office at 647-7400
- Parcel Splits or Combines: Contact Community Development at 647-7350
- Tax Account Research Requests: Contact Treasurers office at 647-7433
- Writs and warrants: Contact the Sheriff’s office at 525-1911
Is the county closed to the general public?
The County is now open to the public. We still encourage social distancing and face masks for your safety..
Will the tax payment deadline be extended?
Simple answer is no. A County Treasurer does not have the legal authority to extend the payment deadline. Please expect taxes to be due by the statutory dates of December 10 for the first half, and May 10 for the second half taxes.
Will you waive penalty and interest if I am unable to pay?
Yes, for qualified accounts only.
Recent legislation to provide tax relief due to the effects of COVID-19 allows our office to waive certain penalty and interest legally under the following conditions:
- The fee waiver applies only to the second half of the 2019 tax liability
- The account must be in good standing prior to May 10, 2020.
- Payment for the tax balance must be made in full before May 10, 2021.
- If you have already paid, you do not have to do anything. A credit for the penalty and interest will be applied to your account on your 2020 Tax Bill.
- If you have not paid, please pay over the phone with a live representative so that we can apply the fee waiver manually.
How will I know if my payment has been received?
You can view your account online at www.donaanacounty.org/treasurer click on the “Search Taxes” link. You may also call our office to confirm payment.
Can you send my receipt by mail?
Due to the amount of payments that we will be processing, mailing receipts will be very costly and time consuming for our office. Please check your bank or credit card statement to confirm your payment has processed.
How long will a payment take to clear on my bank account?
Due to the amount of payments that we will be processing, please allow up to two weeks to see your payments post to your account.
Will online payment fees be waived?
No. Anti-donation laws do not allow us to do this.
I can only pay in cash?
We encourage you to obtain a cashier’s check or money order. Please do not mail cash or drop it in our drop box.
What is the recommended way to pay my property taxes?
We recommend using your bank’s online Bill Pay option, it is fast, secure, and free. Your payment will reflect in our system the next day! Create a Bill Pay profile for property taxes using the following information:
Dona Ana County Treasurer
845 N Motel Blvd
Las Cruces NM 88007
I need to research tax information that is not available online?
Please send us an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 647-7433. We will make every effort to respond in a timely manner.
Why are the payment drop offs in Anthony, Chaparral, Hatch, and Sunland Park closed if those offices are still open?
These locations may or may not be open, but we do not want to put their staff at risk by encouraging the public to gather inside their offices while dropping off payments.